The OPENING INDEX – Located in the centre.
The CHANGING INDEX – Located to the left Opening Index.
The OPENING INDEX is provided for normal dialing and opening.
The CHANGING INDEX is provided for use only when setting a new combination.
Turn the dial slowly and steadily. If, after turning the correct number of revolutions, any number is turned beyond the index, the entire series of combination numbers must be redialed. DO NOT TURN BACK TO REGAIN A PROPER ALIGNMENT WITH THE NUMBERS. Each time a selected number is aligned with the Opening Index, a revolution is counted.
TO UNLOCK ON A FACTORY SETTING
All 4-wheel combination locks are set on 20-30-40-50.
- Turn dial to the RIGHT, stopping when “20” is aligned with the index, the FIFTH time.
- Turn dial to the LEFT, stopping when “30” is aligned with the index, the FOURTH time.
- Turn dial to the RIGHT, stopping when “40” is aligned with the index, the THIRD time.
- Turn dial to the LEFT, stopping when “50” is aligned with the index, the SECOND time.
- Turn dial slowly to the RIGHT until it stops.
Turn dial to the LEFT at least five full revolutions.
CHANGING TO A NEW COMBINATION
Make up a new combination, selecting 4 numbers of your own choosing. DO NOT use numbers between 0 and 20 for your last number. (E.G. 79-46-82-13). For maximum security, DO NOT use numbers ending in 0 or 5 and DO NOT use numbers in a rising or falling sequence. E.G. 25-30-50-75 is not as good a combination as 87-54-38-72.
- Using the changing index, dial the existing combination as explained in items 1-2-3-4 on the above instruction sheet.
- Hold the dial with the last number at the index and insert the Changing Key in the key hole in the back of the lock. Insert the key until the wing is entirely inside the lock and comes to a positive stop.
- Turn key one quarter turn to the LEFT with the Changing Key in this position, turn the dial to the RIGHT, stopping when the first number of the new combination aligns with the changing index, the fifth time.
- Turn the dial to the LEFT, stopping when the second number is aligned with the changing index, the fourth time.
- Turn the dial to the RIGHT, stopping when the third number is aligned with the changing index, the third time.
- Turn the dial to the LEFT, stopping when the fourth number is aligned with the changing index, the SECOND time, holding the dial in this position, turn the changing key back to the RIGHT and remove it.
THE NEW COMBINATION YOU HAVE CHOSEN IS NOW IN THE LOCK.
- Before closing the door, try the new combination several times, using the Opening Index.
- Never insert the Changing Key in the lock when the lock cover is removed. Always be certain that the wing of the Changing Key is entirely within the Lock before turning key.
If an error has been made in the setting, we suggest you call our nearest agent.
For your security never use the combination figure given as example in this booklet.